Vice President, Corporate Reputation & Issues
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Weber Shandwick Toronto Office is seeking a Vice President, Corporate Reputation & Issues.
What we are seeking:
We are looking for a change agent to help us grow our C-Suite Group and support a wide array of high-profile clients with corporate reputation, crisis preparedness and live crisis and issues counsel and support.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience in brand and reputation building communications, managing executive visibility, media strategy, crisis communications and issues management. The candidate will have the opportunity to drive a broad range of corporate reputation campaigns across a variety of clients, while leading a team of practitioners and collaborating with Weber Shandwick’s network to develop strategic and creative client work. Previous agency experience is desired and you will have worked with clients across multiple industries
You will play an important role on our team, leading a broad range of projects and developing new business opportunities. You will be an emerging leader on the team and help mentor and grow the skill sets of emerging talent in our practice. You should be sharp strategist, have strong writing skills, be social and digital analytics savvy, and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment. You can marshal teams and resources effectively and quickly and are entrepreneurial.
The Weber Shandwick C-Suite Advisory team focuses on: Organizational Preparedness, Response, and Resiliency; Social Impact, ESG, & DE&I; Enterprise & Executive Leadership Strategy (incl. Geopolitical, Public Diplomacy, Public Health); Organizational Transformation & Employee Engagement; Corporate Marketing; Capital Market Insights and Financial Communications. It also collaborates closely with Weber-Shandwick teams and other parts of The Weber Shandwick Collective. The nature of our work requires an ability and eagerness to juggle multiple responsibilities and work with multi-office teams. You will have the opportunity to play a leading role in launching a new advisory business and the growth and expansion of this team and offering.
What you will be doing:
- Develop and grow positive relationships with clients, maintaining the company's reputation in terms of delivery and quality
- Provide strategic counsel to clients where possible, being able to assess problems and define logical and effective solutions for clients
- Lead the delivery of high-profile accounts across multiple markets
- Brief and inform account teams. Communicate expectations/goals to the team on an ongoing basis, helping to keep the team motivated by communicating clear tasks and actions
- Work successfully with partner agencies as part of a client integrated agency team, both internally at WS and externally
- Work effectively with finance colleagues to deliver accurate quotations for all client projects or new business work
- Write well-structured, persuasive content and help train other team colleagues to do the same
- Contribute innovative ideas for the client and new business work, inspiring ideation amongst team members
- Lead and support a range of issues and crisis communications situations for companies and organizations, including brand safety, product safety issues and recalls, adverse events, pricing and access issues, workplace culture, litigation, regulatory compliance issues, misinformation campaigns, DEI-related matters, investigative reporting, and more
- Develop and draft crisis plans, media strategies, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, memos, crisis simulations and other deliverables as needed
- Oversee and execute proactive media outreach and reactive media relations strategies in connection with issues and crisis management strategies as needed
- Provide regular counsel to clients and colleagues
- Keep client programs on schedule and ensure all deadlines are met within budget parameters
- Provide media and crisis training to clients
- Develop and deliver client presentations
New Business and Marketing:
- Help drive the growth of the C-Suite Group overall
- Participate in new business development for the team and collaborate among practice areas at the agency in support of broader new business pitches
- Take an active role in helping manage the team and problem solve
- Work with peers to further the mission, goals and culture of the C-Suite Group and the agency
- Promote team cooperation by actively seeking the opinions and views of team members of all levels
- Train and motivate emerging talent and help create opportunities for their growth
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and/or 8-10 years of relevant experience in an agency/strategic consulting firm, political office, or corporate PR background desired.
- Agency experience (preferred)
- Experience directly counseling clients/senior ranking executives through a broad range of crises, issues and special situations
- Skilled crisis and issues media relations strategist and practitioner with top-tier media relations experience
- Experience working on Corporate reputation campaigns across industries
- You are both a creative and a strategic thinker, and a natural team leader
- Familiarity with the latest digital trends in social media strategy, tools, and analytics
- Experience with corporate reputation, brand safety/protection through integrated communications programs
- Thrives under pressure and can handle multiple projects in a demanding, deadline-oriented environment
- Exercises exceptional judgment when working with clients, colleagues and vendors.
- Communicates clearly, analytically and persuasively, both orally and in writing
- Pays close attention to detail and quality of work product
- Adept at solving problems and resolving conflicts
- Capable of mobilizing and motivating teams, anticipating needs and instilling confidence
About Weber Shandwick
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Agency A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and PRovoke’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2017 and 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.